Saturday, October 28, 2023

Charlottetown, P.E.I

This has been the port that I have been looking forward to the most because of its association to the Anne of Green Gables books by L.M. Montgomery. I read all the books as a kid and I have since watched the recent T.V. series Anne with an E on Netflix, twice. 


Green Gables Heritage Place, part of Lucy Maud Montgomery's Cavendish National Historic Site. It features the original house that inspired the setting for her famous novel Anne of green Gables. We did not make it to the Cavendish home which is where Lucy grew up, it was a separate location and fee. 


There were two trails available, Michael walked part way of the Haunted Wood. I opted not to go as I did not have proper footwear for the rain or mud. 
Green Gables House. Once home to several generations of the Macneill and Webb families, this authentic farmhouse has been decorated to fit Montgomery's descriptions in the novel with artifacts from the 1800s. 
Barn, modeled after the original Macneill Barn, it has an authentic looking exterior. 

Part of the exhibit area, book covers from over the years. Anne of Green Gables has been in continuous print since it was first published in 1908. 
Anne of Green Gables Lego house. 
We discovered these chocolate shops throughout the city, it was very tourist centered but we managed to buy some chocolate none the less. 


Michael thought Prince Edward Island was very 'storybook' like, it was a charming place. We rented a Tesla for our days journey, had lunch at a cute bistro that also included books and had ice cream despite the cold rain. 


No comments: