Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Happy New Year 2019! A Shorter MR2 Day Today

Today's project was disassembling the interior so I could be ready to remove and replace the shifter.  This required having both driver's and passenger's seats out.


As you can see, it was a successful tear down.

I even salvaged the donor shift pattern metal badge that goes on the center console and replaced the one that came with the automatic transmission model.

On the left is my 1988 center floor console
with salvaged shift pattern badge installed and old badge removed.
On the right is the donor console; I'm going to need to replace that boot.

I also found today that I needed to adjust the brake switch to accommodate the new pedal; the brake lights were stuck on.  A little adjustment with a 14mm wrench and that problem was taken care of. Diane stood behind the car and verified proper operation for me while I stepped on the pedal.

I put the seats back in and drove to Ralphs for some potatoes- one of this car's last trips as an automatic.

If I believe tracking info from Amazon and Rock Auto, tomorrow and Friday the new clutch cylinders and clutch kit will arrive for the last steps before handing over to the mechanic for the heavy stuff.

No comments: